Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Scary night … running for your life.

Rafael is not only a good friend he is also a guard in the compound where I live. He is a strong and brave fellow and an incredible storyteller.
This story was told to me last night, following a discussion about the frequent robberies in the country. I was amused by telling him that one of the guards, on a previous office I worked in, was chased away by robbers, Rafael looked at me and told me: “I have to confess, I also once had to run”.


These events took place over 15 years ago, when Rafael was still the guard at the old city market. One night he heard noises inside the market and he went in to check it … when he entered the enclosed market there was an almost shadow like old men sitting on a wooden wheelchair. Staring at him, this figure started to slowly advance in his direction … he knew that it was impossible for that old man to be inside the walls … but the creaking wooden wheels sound advancing in his direction precipitated the only decision possible … Rafael started to run and only stopped 5 km away inside his home. He only came back at the sunrise never to see that old man again.


This story and photo were published with the permission of Rafael Barros. I am sure I will be posting more than once based on his stories.

No comments: